Tuesday, January 21, 2014

What is Mathematics?


In my opinion, there is no correct or wrong answer to solve any math question. To me, Mathematics deals with the logic of shape, quantity and arrangement. Math is all around us as it plays a huge part in our daily lives with just about everything we do. Mathematics helps us understand the world around us by learning about and using patterns, arithmetic, and geometry. Mathematics deals with data, measurements, observations, and problem solving. It is about learning new things and then given the challenge to solve the answer to a question. Mathematics is a way of looking at life because everything you use in life can relate to mathematics. Mathematics is one of the subjects I have personally always found challenging and a little difficult. With all the many types of questioning, I have always struggled with learning math. However, as a future educator I have realized that I will need to teach this subject to my students and it is up to me to understand mathematics and develop a liking for this subject because I am responsible to educate children of the future generation. 

When I think about what actually mathematics is, I think of how mathematics involves different kinds of thinking capacities such as; numerical reasoning, quantitative reasoning, linguistic reasoning, symbolic reasoning, spatial reasoning, logical reasoning, diagrammatic reasoning, and many more I am sure but I do not recall off hand. There always has to be a solution to solve a problem, therefore you must learn how to find the answer through a mathematical process. In mathematics, you can have more than just one way of solving a problem to find the correct answer, it is just the process of breaking it down in to steps. If I were to think mathematically, it would be to find out the solution to a problem. If I had to solve a problem I would need to know a equation or some form of process to solve it. It is important for mathematics to be demonstrated in a classroom to students which then teaches and allows students to practice what they have been taught. 


No comments:

Post a Comment