Wednesday, February 26, 2014

K-6 Mathematics Resources

In Math class on Tuesday, the six tables in the classroom were turned into a grade level each representing grades K-6. At each table, both teacher and student Mathematics resources were placed on display. Seated in groups, we were asked to rotate and take turns at each table as our teacher timed us as we were given the opportunity to explore theses K-6 Mathematics resources. I felt that this was a great idea for us to do during our class time because it is important for us to become familiar with the material that we are going to teach when we become teachers. I have seen the Mathematics curriculum guides before and have used them as part of lesson planning for other courses that I have taken. I have also seen some of the Mathematics teacher and student resources during my observation days this semester and last semester but I have not got the chance to actually sit down and take a few minutes to review them by myself, so I thought this experience was nice to check out these resources in my own hands.


After reviewing the Mathematics resources for K-6, I really liked what was available for Kindergarten and grade one the most. I found that the student resources were very age appropriate and the teacher's guide was well written and easy to follow. The books that are used at both the Kindergarten and grade one level are very fun, colorful, and engaging for both the teachers and the students for reading. There are many lap books and small books which are perfect for small children to read. I also found that the font size used in the texts are big,bold, and are very in short sentences on each page along with pictures. These kind of aspects are important in the lower grades as it catches students' attention, and helps capture their interests. I found as the higher you go up in the grade levels, the resources available became more dull. Not a whole lot of color was used, and there were no lap books or smaller books available like there is in the primary grades. I feel that all resources for the grade levels from Kindergarten through six are indeed suitable for the grade level itself, but I also personally think that the resources present a number of ways and given more than one explanation of how to perform a task or how to determine the solution to an unsolved problem. I think that this is great because not all children learn and solve problems the same way and learn at different levels, so it is important to remember and teach by using different methods.All resources available at every grade are engaging for students. 


As a future educator, I think that it is important for teachers to be constantly reviewing and familiarizing themselves with the material being taught to students. We need to be able to know ourselves and our students in order to be able to teach and best suit every child's needs. 








No comments:

Post a Comment